Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sunset - For the Beauty of the Earth

Last night, just before 6pm, I happened to pass by the window in the back of my house and catch a glimpse of the sun going down. I don't know when I last saw a sunset. Too bad I didn't catch it earlier, that may have looked even more beautiful.

I am usually busy helping kids with homework, making dinner, or am downstairs where I can't see this sort of view. I think I need to see more sunrises and sunsets to remember the beauty that there is in the world, the world that God created for us. My patriarchial blessing even talks about "enjoying the beauty of the earth". The times in my life when I was outdoors more, like riding horses in the mountains and taking people on trail rides everyday, was when I truly enjoyed the beauty of the earth more. I shouldn't have to have a job like that to help me remember its beauty.

I joined Facebook on January 1st and have enjoyed reuniting with oldtime friends. One of them is Dennis Manhart, someone from my ward growing up in Dubuque, Iowa. He has taken pictures for years and has his own landscaping photography business. I had just taken the picture of the sunset when I began looking at his website that he sent to me. Gorgeous photos! He has such a variety, but one whole section is of sunrises and sunsets. It is definitely worth checking out. Go to http://dmanhartphoto.com/. His son, Travis, is also a photographer, but he takes photos of people (family, wedding, graduation, etc.). Check out his website, too, by going to http://www.tjmphoto.com/ or by clicking on the links in "What Sites I Like".

This sunset picture reminded me of Hymn #92, "For the Beauty of the Earth". Below are the words to the Hymn:

1. For the beauty of the earth,
For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies,

[Chorus]
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.

2. For the beauty of each hour
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flow’r,
Sun and moon, and stars of light,

3. For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child,
Friends on earth, and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild,

Text: Folliott S. Pierpoint, 1835-1917
Music: Conrad Kocher, 1786–1872

No comments:

Post a Comment