Friday, January 27, 2012

There is Power in Walking, There is Power in Reading, But There is No Power at Home

Justin finished Totschool at 11:20am. Clinton walked over to the school, which he normally wouldn't have done, but we were without power, the car was in the garage without the door being able to open unless you do it manually, and I wasn't home to pick him up with the van. I left the house this morning at 9:00am for a Visiting Teaching appointment. I traveled to the far east side of our ward boundaries to visit a sister, stayed a little long with my companion, and didn't receive Clinton's text about the power being out until I finished. I planned to respond to him, but my cell phone ran out of power and died.

I wasn't quite sure if Clinton had picked up Justin yet, so I stopped by the house first, noticed he was gone, but headed to the school to verify. I found Justin and Clinton walking to the library across the street from the school. Someone at the school mentioned the library was closed until 1:00pm. They decided to check and make sure. Of course, it was closed, so they headed back to Justin's school and stayed in one of the rooms with Clinton's laptop and the portable DVD player until the library was open.

Well, I had another Visiting Teaching appointment at 2:00pm, so I needed them back home to stay with Cameron. I hadn't planned to take Cameron with me because the sister I was visiting had pets and because leaving him would give me dedicated time with her. I headed over at 1:30pm and picked them up from the Woodridge Public Library. We still didn't have power yet, but it fortunately came back on at 2:45pm.

Even though Justin watched a movie today at the library, he does enjoy going there to pick up books, movies, and wii games, as well as, read stories and do puzzles in the children's section. Several months ago, Justin and I had some shopping to do, but I had to return some books to the library, too. I told Justin that I needed to drop some books off at the library before we went shopping. I drove up to the book return box just outside the library and deposited the books inside. After I dropped the books in, Justin asked, "Mom, is that the book garbage?" I couldn't figure out what he was talking about at first, and then it dawned on me, he thought this was a place you threw away books. He had no idea what happened to the books after that.

I began to understand how he could think that way. You can go to McDonald's or other drive-thru places and they have garbage cans outside that you can throw away your garbage from the comfort of your vehicle. This was the same set-up. Why not have this be a "book garbage". Sounds logical to a child! This is just one of the funny things he has said. I liked it so much that I use it as a password for a website that Justin likes to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment