Monday, January 16, 2012

"I Choose You, Benjamin"

As Benjamin sits in the rocking chair battling on his Pokémon game, I find it ironic that he is wearing a shirt that says, "Army of Righteous Warriors". This is a shirt that his cousin, Sean Fisher, gave to him once he outgrew it. On the back of the shirt it quotes the scripture Joshua 24:15, "... choose you this day whom ye will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." I can't believe how much Benjamin is growing up, not just in height, but as a young man. He is twelve years old, in the Deacon's Quorum, and has his first calling in the church, 1st Counselor in the Deacon's Quorum. He was set apart on Sunday, December 18, 2011. I think he is excited for this opportunity and it will provide him opportunities to be a righteous warrior. He can set a good example for others along their journey, too. I'm sure these pre-teen years are not easy, but probably easier than the teen years. I'm so proud of Benjamin and the choices he has made in his life, with friends, with church, with scouting, etc. He will really begin to grow over these coming years.

Benjamin has great Young Men leaders at church who encourage, motivate, and work with him on Duty to God and Boy Scouting merit badges, so hopefully one day he can earn his Duty to God and Eagle Scout awards. The great reward comes not in earning the awards, but in the journey one takes in getting there.

As I work with the Young Women at church, I see how important the youth leaders can be on the youth. There comes a time when the encouragement, pushing, or prodding of parents is not as helpful or as motivating as when it comes from their leaders. With good parenting (hopefully) and the help of leaders, teachers, extended family, and friends, Clinton and I can be successful in raising our children to be righteous warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment