Thursday, February 16, 2012

Book of Mormon Book Club

Today I attended the Book of Mormon Book Club. Naomi Hanks, a sister in my ward, started this club towards the beginning of the school year. It isn't a ward sponsored book club, but one that whomever would like to join may do so. We meet at the church in the Nursery room and discuss while our little ones play with the toys.

I had planned on attending the first day, but then I forgot. Since I hadn't attended the first day, I didn't think about adding the scheduled day and time to my calendar for future weeks. Again, I kept forgetting. In October, I had Cameron and didn't do much for a while. The list goes on of reasons why I hadn't gone, but a few weeks ago I finally started attending. This was the third time I've attended the group.

I love that I get to dedicate some of my time each week to reading the scriptures on my own, separate than my family scripture reading. It is nice to read and discuss with my peers, my friends, my fellow sisters in the gospel. I love hearing their thoughts, feelings, impressions, knowledge, and love of the gospel. Right now we are reading in 2 Nephi where chapters of Isaiah are being quoted. Today we discussed 2 Nephi 13-14 which quoted Isaiah 3. It takes a little bit more in-depth study and discussion of these to understand what is being said.

I feel that attending this group will motivate me to read my scriptures on my own more, give me a greater desire and determination to understand them and apply what I learn to my life, and to build unity and grow closer with my sisters in the gospel. It is through these connections that we can learn, grow, and help one another progress in our individual journeys in life. Even though we all have our own purpose and plan to accomplish while we are here on earth, it doesn't mean we are meant to travel through this life on our own. Though we may all struggle and/or feel alone at different times in our life, we have scriptures, leaders, prayer, family, and friends that can all be sources of comfort and guidance if we seek it.

No comments:

Post a Comment