Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Somebody Wants My Blood

The Woodridge School District #68 had a blood drive today and needed donors. Although, I didn't sign up, I decided I would pop on in and do it. I've donated several times in the past, in fact, I filled up the back of my donor card today.

I don't mind donating blood, but the last time I did (January 22, 2011), I got sick a few hours afterwards. I had never had that problem before, but I was busy trying to clean up my house to watch my sister's kids in a few hours. I figured that I stayed too busy and hadn't eaten or drank enough like I should have done. Well, several weeks later I found out I was pregnant with Cameron. When I calculated back, based on how far along they said I was, I had been pregnant for about a week. That's probably why I didn't feel so great. Even though I am still nursing Cameron, they say it is fine to donate. Generally, you don't want to donate when you are pregnant.

While I was there, a young guy donating blood got sick. He was on a chair behind me, so I couldn't see very well. I also didn't want to stare and make him feel uncomfortable. I know how it would make me feel. I'm not sure of all the details, but he had to stay for a while till they knew he would be alright. Hopefully he didn't get it all over him. Knowing my luck, I would get it all over myself.

Once I finished, they gave me two cans of apple juice and a treat. I wasn't sure which treat I was going to take and I narrowed it down to two. The lady said to go ahead and take both. I asked her, "Can I do that?" She told me that would be fine, so that's what I did, but instead of grabbing two different treats, I grabbed two bags of chocolate chip cookies. After finishing one of the drinks, they came back and grabbed the empty can and threw it in the garbage. I realized that I should have taken a picture. She was kind enough to grab me another can instead of retrieving my empty one from the garbage. So, I took a picture with the two bags of chocolate chip cookies and the two cans of apple juice, though I actually had three juice. Wow, this mobile Heartland Blood Center was quite generous! My next donation eligibility date is in 8 more weeks. Maybe I'll have to track them down! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment