Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Me and My Best Friend

Here I am with my best friend, Google Calendar!  It has been my best friend since January of 2008.

I was first introduced to it by Zeke Johnson, who was the Ward Mission Leader at the time in the Woodridge 1st Ward.  I was a Ward Missionary then and he set it up where he would send Google invites to all the Ward Missionaries for our weekly Ward Missionary Meetings.  It was because I wanted to add those meetings to a calendar, that I created an account and started keeping track of everything going on in my life and the life of my children.

Obviously, my life is more crazy than it was before.  When you continue to add more children, involve them in more things, and they naturally age to where they are involved with more (like YM's and Activity Days), you need to have a good method of recording and remembering.

I first created my own calendar.  Later on, I created a calendar for Clinton on my calendar.  Over the past few years, I began adding in calendars to keep track of important dates for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and deaths (after my Grandma Gertie died).  I also created separate calendars for Benjamin, Anna, Emma, Justin, and Cameron.  Each calendar created is a separate color on my overall Google calendar.

My whole family knows that I log everything into it.  When I receive important papers from school, church, doctors, etc. I log the information completely in the calendar and get rid of the paper.  There is no need to keep hanging onto it.

When I returned home from the Relief Society VT Social/Conference, I got back on the computer and noticed this reminder about the event.  I thought it was pretty funny.  One of the first things I do each day is turn on the computer, open my email, and open my Google calendar.

Some of the nice features about the Google calendar is that I can input which person the event is for, the start and stop time, the location, the description, and I can even set up events to repeat, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment